Monday, April 19, 2010

What's Eating Gilbert Grape


The other day I came across a movie treasure, What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I know that I usually blog about old movies, but for this I will make an exception. From the moment the movie started I just had a feeling that I was going to love this movie. I loved every moment of this movie, it is one of those few movies that is truly beautiful. The movie is about a young man named Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) who has to take care of his mentally challenged brother (Leonardo Dicaprio) and his morbidly obese mother (Darlene Cates), as well as provide for his family financially. Gilbert is a caring brother who takes care of Arnie with complete devotion and compassion. He selflessly serves his family, hardly ever thinking for himself. As the family is planning Arnie's 18th birthday party, a camper trailer brings a young girl, Becky (Juiliette Lewis), into town. As she and Gilbert become close, Gilbert is influenced by her free way of life and starts to learn how to live his own life. This film is tragic and very heartfelt. Not only was it beautiful, but the acting was phenomenal. By the end of the movie I had completely forgotten that Leonardo Dicaprio was playing the mentally challenged Arnie Grape, because he had almost seemed to become the character. Dicaprio's performance was one of the best I have ever seen, and he most definitely deserved the Oscar and Golden Globe he won for this role. I love Johnny Depp and I have seen many of his movies, but I have to say that his character of Gilbert Grape has moved its way to the very top of my list. His character will steal your heart and captivate you entirely. Darlene Cates, who plays Momma, gives a spectacular performance. You can feel her heartache and her inner turmoil. Your heart goes out to her as she goes through a daily physical struggle. This movie has really had an impact on me, and has left me feeling so grateful for what I have and that I should never take it for granted. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and maybe even help you gain a new perspective on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment