Sunday, April 18, 2010

Penny Serenade


Yesterday I had the great pleasure of watching the movie, Penny Serenade. First you must know that I am a huge Cary Grant fan, so any critique I make about him will be nothing but absolutely glowing. Before this movie I had only seen Irene Dunne in one other movie (The Awful Truth) but it was in this movie that I just fell in love with her. This movie was tender and really touched my heart. The story starts with Julie (Dunne) going through records as she is about to leave her husband. The story unfolds as she listens to the songs, which take her back to the earlier events of her marriage. She recalls falling in love with newspaper man, Roger (Grant), and the early days of their marriage. She and Roger lose their coming baby in a tragic accident, and the rest of the movie consists of their attempt to cope with their lose, and eventually trying to adopt. Without giving any major spoilers I will just say that this story is most definitely a tear jerker, and a box of tissue goes hand in hand with this movie. Now I would like to expound on the excellent acting done in this picture! I have seen over a dozen of Cary Grant movies, but this one really stands out to me. It is no wonder this role earned him an 1941 Oscar nomination (one of his only two). And it is no wonder this movie was one of Mr. Grant's favorites, because he shines. This movie has made itself a special place in my heart, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment